SUMEC CLEAN ENERGY INTERNATIONAL COStatus: Completed investment
FMO is committed to making publicly available relevant investment information that informs stakeholders and enables them to engage directly with FMO on its investments which, in turn, enhances our investment decisions, the design and implementation of projects and policies, and strengthens development outcomes. Learn more
In case of questions
In case of questions, please contact us at email@example.com
The information as disclosed is indicative and provided on an "as-is/as available" basis for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as financial, legal or investment advice, nor as a commitment or an offer to arrange or provide any financing. The final decision to provide financing is subject to the terms and conditions of FMO in its sole and absolute discretion. When providing links to other sites, FMO bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. The information on proposed investment for high-risk investments is made available in the language relevant to the country or region where the bulk of operations take place. Translations of any information into languages other than English are intended as a convenience for local stakeholders. In case of any discrepancy, the information provided in English will prevail.
Who is our customer
FMO is considering a guarantee to the EPC provider, SUMEC alongside an investment opportunity in JCM Salima UK Ltd (“Salima”), a company incorporated in the U.K. and 75% owner of JCM Matswani Solar Corp Ltd, a Malawi Special Purpose Vehicle (the “Project Company”) established for the development of a 60 MWac solar PV plant located in the Salima district of Malawi (the “Project”). Infraco Africa Ltd owns the remaining 25% of the Project Company. The Project was developed by InfraCo Africa, JCM Power and Matswani Capital.
What is our funding objective?
FMO’s financing will be used to finance the construction of the Project which will be the first solar PV plant and Independent Power Producer in the country upon its completion. Malawi has abundant solar resource availability and the Project can assist Malawi in diversifying its electricity mix and reducing its reliance on import of fossil fuels.
Why do we fund this investment?
Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world with a significant energy shortage. By funding this project, FMO can enable direct economic growth during the construction and operations of the Project and indirect growth by providing reliable electricity supply. The funding touches some of FMO’s key focus segments, Renewable Energy and Inclusive Development and allows FMO to build out renewable energy capacity in a market which is characterized by a power deficit. The Government of Malawi is supportive to renewable energy project development and consequently has created the enabling environment for potential investors and lenders to invest in the sector. The Project is expected to generate an average of 154 GWh of electricity annually.
What is the Environmental and Social categorization rationale?
The E&S risk of the transaction has been classified as cat B+. The main E&S impacts and risks relate to economic (voluntary) resettlement of current subsistence agricultural land-users and to labour conditions and safety during construction. The transaction fully triggers IFC Performance Standard 1,2,3 and 4. Performance Standard 5 is not triggered, as the Project could not resort to expropriation in their land acquisition and will not cause involuntary restrictions in access to land and/or resources. Performance 6 is triggered to a limited extent, as the Project affected area is modified habitat and impacts on priority ecosystem services are restricted to the agriculture by land-owners selling voluntarily. Performance Standard 7 is not triggered because the communities surrounding the Project are not indigenous peoples. Performance Standard 8 is not triggered beyond the standard chance find procedure requirement. An ESIA, a Stakeholder Engagement Plan and a Livelihood Restoration Plan in accordance with IFC Performance Standards have been completed by an international E&S consultant. Detailed environmental and social development plans are being developed, dedicated community liaison capacity is in place and to be extended with additional EHS management staffing. Outstanding follow-up actions will be captured in an Environmental & Social Action Plan that will be part of the legal agreements.
- Website customer/investment
- Effective date
- End date
- Total FMO financing
- USD 13.57 MLN
- FMO NV
Risk categorization on environmental and social impacts, A = high risk, B+ = medium high risk, B = medium risk, C = low risk
Environmental & Social Category
(A, B+, B or C)