news - Monthly transaction overview – January


Monthly transaction overview – January

February 1, 2021

As a leading impact investor, FMO supports sustainable private sector growth in developing countries and emerging markets by investing in ambitious projects and entrepreneurs. Our belief is that a strong private sector leads to economic and social development, and we have a proven track-record of 50+ years in empowering people to employ their skills and improve their quality of life.

Our recent focus has been on business continuity in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. It is precisely now, during these times of crisis, that it is important to continue investing in developing economies that are expected to be hit hard by the pandemic. While local governments are working hard to minimize the impact on their people and economies, we are needed now more than ever. Hence, we continue to empower entrepreneurs in developing economies to build a better world and boost resilience to withstand the pandemic.

Financial Institutions

BRAC Myanmar Microfinance Company Ltd
Microfinance Institution in Myanmar
FMO signed an USD 7.5 mln Term Loan with existing client BRAC Myanmar Microfinance Company Limited (BRAC), a for-profit institution in Myanmar, active since 2014. BRAC is a 100% subsidiary of BRAC international holdings BV that is active in 10 countries around the world. This 4-year loan is funded by MASSIF, a fund which FMO manages on behalf of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The loan will be used by the MFI to continue supporting micro and small scale borrowers, predominantly underserved women in peri-urban areas of Myanmar. As liquidity in the market is under pressure due to Covid impact and measures, this new facility is very much welcomed by our client.

Private Equity

Jhimpir Power Ltd
50MW wind project in Pakistan

Pakistan has an energy shortfall resulting in regular power cuts, which results in loss of productivity and hence limits the country’s economic growth. The government of Pakistan is supportive to renewable energy project development and consequently has created the enabling environment for potential investors and lenders to invest in the sector. FMO closed a USD 10.08 mln investment in Jhimpir Power Ltd, a 50MW operational wind farm in the Jhimpir region in Pakistan. The Consortium, consisting of the Danish development bank IFU and FMO investee JCM Power, acquired 95% of the project company. The remaining 5% is held by local partner Burj, who is developing a pipeline of wind and solar assets in Pakistan to which the Consortium has been granted a right of first refusal. On an annual basis, this transaction will provide 142GWh of clean power to the Pakistan grid, avoid 84,117 tons of CO2 emissions and serve 293,200 people.

Green AgRevolution Pvt. Ltd.
Agro Supply Chain Company in India
FMO Ventures Program announced a top-up investment of INR 137 mln (USD 1.83 mln) in Green AgRevolution, the company that has developed DeHaat, a technology-led platform to connect farmers in India to agricultural inputs, advisory services, and markets. The platform reaches over 350,000 farmers and has developed a last-mile distribution network of over 1,000 DeHaat centres. The centres are run by micro-entrepreneurs through a franchise model. FMO’s funding will be used for expansion of DeHaat centres network and farmer base, technology, branding and retention, and piloting new services.

Share this page