FMO's Impact and ESG department works closely with the FMO investment teams to ensure our financing delivers real impact and is consistent with the international standards set out in our Sustainability Policy. We are now seeking to hire an Environmental & Social (E&S) Associate who will work in a matrix structure with FMO’s Private Equity (PE) department. The PE department provides equity financing and know-how to real sector companies and banks, and acts as limited partner in private equity fund structures.
We are seeking to recruit a new colleague to join our team on a long-term basis. The initial contract will be for 12 months (renewable).
A. Structuring transactions or supporting the structuring of new transactions and the delivering of organisational ESG and human rights priorities
- Carries out an initial assessment of projects against FMO’s Sustainability Policy and advises (Senior) ESG Officers and clients on how to fill any gaps.
- Works closely with ESG Officers and Investment Officers to structure transactions, contributes to the formulation of investment proposals (CIPs, FPs), negotiates legal documentation and liaises with internal stakeholders and external stakeholders as needed.
- Surfaces and resolves transaction and policy level dilemmas, escalates to (Senior) ESG Officer or Manager as appropriate.
- Manages and documents team knowledge and tools (consultant database, best practice documents, project overview).
- Contributes to Capacity Development projects, sector initiatives and organizational priorities as requested.
- Participates in client visits when requested.
B. Monitoring a portfolio of contracted investments
- Conducts the monitoring of the lower risk part of the investment portfolio.
- Supports the monitoring of the higher risk part of the investment portfolio.
- Prepares the ESG and human rights input for Client Credit Reviews and liaises with Credit as needed.
- Undertakes administrative tasks regarding file and internal database completion (reporting, ESG tracking system, Sustainability Information System).
- Provides support to clients by responding to requests for information.
- Builds relationships with existing clients and finance partners at transaction level.
- Identifies and resolves client level dilemmas and escalates to senior tea member where appropriate.
The candidate is expected to have basic knowledge and experience with Good International Industry Practices related to project finance E&S risk and impact management, including but not limited to the IFC Performance Standards, WB EHS Guidelines, UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and ILO standards. Knowledge and experience with investment banking, private equity investing, are considered a strong advantage.
Skills and competences
- Master degree, required in an environmental or social science and/or in business and human rights
- At least 3-5 years of relevant working experience in consulting or investment firms, ideally with Good International Industry Practices as mentioned above
- Strong analytical research (e.g. ESG assessment, contextual risk assessment) and problem solving skills
- Strong administration skills with appropriate attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to build productive internal and external working relationships
- Displays a strong service and client orientation
- Risk aware and able to escalate issues when necessary
- Flexible, pragmatic and capable of working on several assignments at the same time
- Strong skills in planning, organising and prioritising
- Proven ability to work and deliver under pressure when required
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work in and support multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong team skills, contributing to team success and to a constructive, positive and collaborative work environment
Please note, if we make you an offer to join FMO, you will need to work through the screening process with our screening partner. The process is designed to check your integrity and reliability.
FMO – mission and values
We hire candidates with a passion for our mission; to empower entrepreneurs to build a better world. The values we live by are: Making the Difference, Diversity, Quality, and Integrity.
Diversity is one of our values. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability and pregnancy.