FMO provides scarce private equity for clean technology in Mekong region
FMO, together with the Asian Development Bank (ADB), BIO and Finnfund, will invest in the new Mekong Brahmaputra Clean Development Fund. The fund, with a target size of USD100m, is set up to support clean energy projects in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) and South Asia.
FMO, together with the Asian Development Bank (ADB), BIO and Finnfund, will invest in the new Mekong Brahmaputra Clean Development Fund. The fund, with a target size of USD100m, is set up to support clean energy projects in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) and South Asia. FMO invests USD12,5m in equity through its Infrastructure Development Fund, which it manages on behalf of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Development Cooperation). ADB will also invest USD12,5m, BIO USD5m, Finnfund USD8m and Dragon Capital as fund manager will invest USD 5m.
The Fund will provide scarce long term capital to clean technology companies engaged in renewable energy, energy efficiency, water conservation and waste recycling projects. Fund manager Dragon Capital Clean Development Investments Ltd.expects to invest in at least 10 clean energy and environment projects by 2014. The development impact of this fund comprises both the provision of access to renewable energy and the contribution to the development of clean energy supply as part of the economic development in the region. The investors expect to create at least 900 permanent jobs and another 7000 temporary jobs (with an average of 2 years) with this fund.
In 2008, 83 percent of households in Cambodia, 80 percent in Laos, and over 50 percent in Vietnam still used wood for fuel, making it critical to increase sustainable energy investments. Strong economic growth throughout Asia has already put substantial pressure on the region’s resources and is straining the environment. Further economic development in the Greater Mekong Sub-region and South Asia requires greater access to energy.
The DFIs expect that their participation in the fund will encourage other private sector players to also invest in clean energy projects that generate both attractive rates of return and a cleaner, more sustainable future.
The Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO) is the international development bank of the Netherlands. FMO invests risk capital in companies and financial institutions in developing countries. With an investment portfolio of € 4.6 billion, FMO is one of the largest bilateral private sector development banks worldwide. Thanks in part to its relationship with the Dutch government, FMO is able to take risks which commercial financiers are not - or not yet - prepared to take. FMO's mission: to create flourishing enterprises, which can serve as engines of sustainable growth in their countries.
Nicoline van Slingelandt
Communications Officer (PR)
T: +31 70 314 9790
M: +31 622 563 047
- 24 December 09:32 - New Credit Facilities for Delta Brac Housing by FMO and Triodos
- 23 December 11:51 - FMO’s Fund Emerging Markets recently contracted a EUR 2.4m finance with the Russian subsidiary of the Hencon Group
- 20 December 15:26 - Appointment Nanno Kleiterp as new chairman of EDFI
- 16 December 17:22 - Jacana partners with Ghana’s leading Private Equity Fund
- 02 December 16:29 - FMO and partners finance connection of 3 billion people to the internet with satellite
- 12 November 15:44 - AEI Closes Financing for Phase II Wind Project in Nicaragua
- 11 November 13:36 - UniCredit Bank and FMO sign USD 10mln Credit Agreement for support to SMEs
- 11 November 11:33 - FMO supports 6 out of 14 winners G-20 SME Finance Challenge
- 11 November 10:23 - FMO client Advans SA in Côte d’Ivoire creates new microfinance institution
- 09 November 14:11 - Lending consortium comprised of IFC, FMO, Proparco and the ICF Debt Pool finances new North Vietnam deep water container terminal
- 01 November 19:27 - FMO Invests USD15 million in Sudameris to Support Midsize Companies in Paraguay
- 01 November 16:36 - Innovation vital to sustainable development banking sector
- 29 October 17:10 - Festive celebration of FMO investment in Family Bank Kenya
- 28 October 18:16 - Dutch Fair Trade week features cashew nuts from FMO client Anatrans
- 27 October 16:54 - New Upsides special on the future of banking published
- 15 October 10:44 - IFC and FMO Invest $30 million in BIF to Support Midsize Companies in Peru
- 23 September 17:19 - Rebuilding capacity in Haiti's private sector
- 16 September 15:29 - Ameriabank CJSC sets example with implementation of Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS)
- 09 September 18:56 - Semi-annual results development bank FMO: well performing developing countries lead to profit growth
- 09 September 11:05 - Fidelity Bank Ltd and FMO increase support to Ghanaian SMEs
- 28 July 10:09 - FMO provides scarce private equity for clean technology in Mekong region
- 12 July 09:56 - USD 15m loan to stimulate small & medium sized businesses in Belarus.
- 07 July 14:28 - FMO signs MoU for strategic partnership with the Tuninvest-Africinvest Group
- 31 May 16:22 - Jean Frijns new Supervisory Board member FMO
- 26 May 09:21 - FMO finances Nicaraguan geothermal project with consortium of lenders
- 19 May 14:52 - USD 850m Caribbean Joint Action Plan signed by leading International Financial Institutions active in the region
- 19 May 11:57 - FMO and Standard Bank sign USD 400 mln Risk Sharing Facility
- 03 May 14:39 - FMO and ADB to share risk on trade finance in Asia
- 22 April 18:26 - Development banks FMO and BIO join forces in infrastructure sector
- 19 April 21:54 - FMO sounds the gong in honour of its 40th anniversary
- 15 April 09:41 - New Upsides housing special coming up
- 13 April 10:58 - EBRD, IFC, FMO, and ADM Capital Launch Fund to Help Companies in CEE, Central Asia, and Turkey Recover from Crisis
- 13 April 10:18 - New alliance FMO and Rabobank in emerging markets
- 08 April 08:43 - FMO provides EUR 125,000 Capacity Development grant to help rebuild Finca Haiti
- 01 April 10:20 - FMO increases investments in developing countries despite crisis
- 24 March 16:40 - Webcast of the presentation of FMO's Annual Results 2009
- 24 March 12:57 - FMO wins award for Best Financial Support in the Power Industry 2010
- 10 March 16:31 - FMO signs contract with Nigerian hospital and health insurance company
- 10 March 09:59 - PTA Bank receives US$50 million loan for onlending to corporate clients
- 05 March 17:23 - FMO signs MOU for enhanced partnership in Africa
- 10 February 12:51 - Ontwikkelingsbank FMO tekent Charter ‘Talent naar de Top’
- 03 February 11:43 - Banco Supervielle from Argentina achieved the highest stock value
- 26 January 10:04 - FMO invests USD 29.9 mln in local currency in Indian Slum Rehabilitation
- 21 January 18:03 - FMO signs USD 10 mln local currency facility with Abbey Building Society Nigeria
- 20 January 16:09 - FMO’s reaction on the WRR report 'Minder pretentie, meer ambitie'
- 15 January 10:37 - New UPsides energy special coming up