We focus on the full chain from exploration and transportation to generation and distribution, with a strong emphasis on renewable energy. In middle-income countries, we invest in sustainable energy. In low-income countries, we invest in energy projects that enable new access to energy, with a preference for sustainable solutions.
Fuelling economies, empowering lives
For developing countries, access to reliable and affordable energy is essential for economic and social progress.
Energy is crucial for running businesses, institutions and households alike. Without alternatives, fragile fossil fuels such as oil, coal and gas continue to be depleted. And natural disasters from climate change are more frequent and devastating – putting even more pressure on resources.
FMO finances long-term projects that can fuel economies, open gateways to access, clear the way for low-carbon systems and safeguard energy supplies.
Our projects include:
- Energy-efficient technologies such as wind, hydro, and geothermal.
- Solar-panel systems for homes in rural villages.
- Generation and distribution of energy to rural, off-grid areas.
- Refurbishment and efficiency improvements of fossil-fuel fired plants (eg, co-generation).
- Sustainable forestry, forest carbon (REDD+) and biodiversity conservation to address CO2 issues from global warming.
Our initial investments often motivate other development financial institutions and commercial banks to finance such projects as well. When finance partners and experts are mobilized, our clients can manage the many risk factors involved in making (renewable) energy investments more commercially sustainable.
New investment opportunities
A low-carbon economy can drive innovation, growth and job creation –presenting new opportunities for investors.